Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cancer Update: What's new?



Sunday, May 5, 2013

Can you believe this is my 100th blog post?! Did I really write that much?  =O  Ummmm.... maybe I read the counter wrong?  100 blog posts doesn't seem possible!  *shrug*  I'm too lazy to check.  *wink*

I apologize for taking so long to write.  I’ve got a lot to say, but at the same time… I don’t quite know how to say it…. So here it is... the newest of the new update concerning my health:

April 3, 2013  Routine CT scan with contrast of my chest and abdomen.

April 11, 2013  Email from my doctor saying she wants to see me tomorrow.

April 12, 2013  Get my CT scan results: “multiple hyperenhancing soft tissue lesions in the pelvis, concerning for recurrent disease.”  Largest area is 1.7cm.  Four separate areas are specifically documented.

April 12-14, 2013 Transparent young adult retreat... God timed everything perfectly to give me a place and time to quietly reset myself!

April 22, 2013  Appointment with my oncologist: 7 lesions noted when my CT scan was reviewed.  I will start oral chemotherapy medication (Temodar 120mg) for 10 weeks. 

May 4, 2013  Chemotherapy medication arrived in the mail.  10pm: I take my two capsules. 

May 5, 2013  5am: Wake up to vomit.  8am:  vomit.  So not fun!  On the other hand, this is my fault.  I believed that since I’ll just be starting the chemotherapy, that I wouldn’t be nauseous since the concentration hasn’t built-up enough in my body.  Wrong… I feel like throwing up so much my jaws hurt from clenching my teeth together.  I give.  I give!  There’s no way I can live without anti-nausea medications while on this chemo drug!  After taking 4mg of Zofran, most of my nausea is gone.  2pm: nausea returns… so I take 2mg more of Zofran (quarter pill).  7:20pm: I give in and take 4mg of the anti-nausea med, Zofran, along with my chemo medicine (Temodar).  11:30pm:  not bad… slightly queasy, but nowhere close to throwing up!  YAY!!!  At this rate, I’ll probably need to dose myself with some sort of anti-nausea medication throughout each day… I’m not letting this medication leave my side!  Throwing up is so NOT worth my preference for avoiding or minimizing use of medication.  =D  Kristy can be taught!

May 6, 2013  Maybe I didn't learn well enough.   Tried taking the Temodar without the Zofran... after 2 hours, I again start feeling queasy... take a quarter piece of the Zofran.

May7, 2013  Not feeling so good first thing at work in the morning... guess minimizing the use of the Zofran isn't so smart?  Fine, fine... I'll take another quarter piece!  Good thing this anti-nausea medicine works quick!  Throwing up at work wouldn't look too good.  =O  Maybe I should try one-eighth a piece of the Zofran?  Heheheeee... it's already hard enough to cut up quarter pieces!  *smirk*

Plan:
*If the chemotherapy medication works, I will get surgery to remove the cancerous areas and then continue the regime of oral chemotherapy (Temodar) for 6 months.
*If the chemotherapy does NOT work, I’ll get surgery anyways to remove the cancerous cells and trial another form of chemotherapy afterwards.

Upcoming:
*blood-work every 2 weeks
*CT scan in early July
*Consult with oncologist and surgeon on July 8, 2013

Father God, I’m so confused.  I don’t know whether to cry, scream, pound the walls and break-down in fear that I have to go through another cancer treatment....  Or, should I rejoice that life’s definitely not boring and I again have stuff to blog about and stories to shareof your great power in action?  *smirk*  I must be crazy right?… to enjoy this kind of painful challenge?  *wink*  Yeah... I'm crazy!

First hearing about the confirmation that my cancer is back… I feel lost.  Rushing emotion swirling around with nothing to grasp for stability.  Buffeted by my emotions and the emotions of others… painfully unbalanced, trying my best to grasp at anything stable, feeble hands tearing at nothingness.  In all this, only you, Lord God, stayed constant. Because of you, I feel... 

Peace                      Calm 

          Hope             
                                              Joy            

                                Stability 
   Security        

                    Safety  
                                                         Strength 

                                                                        Courage  
                                          Power

By myself, I flutter and float on the slightest breeze.  Only when I’m fully plugged in with you, Father God, can I handle the power and strength given by so many others without getting burnt.  Only by you, my Lord and my Savior, can I harness the strength to keep moving, to keep my priorities straight, to look ahead into the unknown, to find true rest.

Blessings upon blessing I have received.  All my doctors are quick to respond and of one accord in regards to my treatment.  Part of me really wants this round of chemotherapy and surgery to be my last round… but I also am comfortable with the idea that you, Lord, are in full control.  Even my initial denial for surgical care at Stanford was turned around in two days!  There was huge confusion in regards to getting my chemotherapy medications... and at just the right time, Lord, you got it to me.  From the very day I take my new medication to my future doctor appointments… everything in my life, Lord, you have shown me your power and your provision, your perfect timing… from the people I meet to every conversation I’m blessed to have… you are a God who loves me so much and gives me so much to live for… what else can I do but live this life you’ve blessed me with?  Teach me to live my life to the fullest!

In Jesus’ name I give my thanks, amen.


This is Noel and I at our young adult retreat on April 14, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy