Saturday, November 24, 2012

Just the Right Cake

November 20, 2012

A month ago: 
Yikes!  I've got a Groupon deal for a cake from some fancy, award-winning bakery.  *drool*  The expiration date is just after Noel's birthday.  A little too close!

*dailing the bakery*  

Me:  Hello, my name is Kristy.  I want to order a cake for my husband.  I've got a Groupon that will expire soon.

Owner:  Sorry, there's no Groupon I know of for a cake... only cupcakes.

Me:  What?!?  The cupcake option sold out so I bought the cake option.

Owner:  Sorry, I don't know of any Groupons for cakes.

Me:  Ummmm...  I have the Groupon right in front of me!  It gives me your address, expires November 28, it's for a 9 inch cake.

Owner:  Okay, I still don't remember issuing any discounts for cakes, but I'll take your order and show me the voucher when you get here.

Me:  Sure... let's see... what do you have?

Option after option.... *dizzy*  I've never even _heard_ of some of these types of cakes.  Yikes!  After going in circles, I ask for a yummy, unique, fruit cake with no alcohol (since I'm allergic to something in alcohol and want to eat some cake too!).

Father God... I can't even _remember_ what type of cake I ordered!  It's something unique and different all right... better be worth the fancy retail cost (even though I didn't have to pay that much).  Father, I don't know if Noel will even _like_ the cake... so I ask, Father, that whatever cake he gets for his birthday, he'll really really enjoy!

In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Today:
I arrive right at the stated time: 4:30pm.  Is this even a bakery?  All I see is a storefront with dusty wedding cakes, articles and awards stating how great this place is... and a little sign that says "by appointment only."  But where's the kitchen?

I see a lady wearing light pink.  "Hi, my name is Kristy.  I've come to pick up the cake I ordered through Groupon."  The lady smiles politely, then opens this nondescript door to find my cake.  Oh wow!  That's a very clean and fancy baking area in the back with multiple people busy hard at work and a wall filled with super large freezers.  Soon, the sweet scents of sugar and yumminess float in the air towards me.  *drool* 

I wait a minute, two, three, five... I hear someone yelling:"I can't find the cake!"  Ummmmm, what?  The first lady in pink pulls out my order slip, turns out I ordered a blackberry and lemon cake.  Why in the world would I ever order that kind of cake for Noel?  I really must not have been thinking!  Noel loves strawberries! *sigh*  Well, if they can't find the cake, I really don't want to make another trip.

Another lady wearing white steps out through the door with sweet scents carrying a white cake.  That doesn't look anything like a blackberry lemon cake, but what do I know about cakes?  Holding the cake out towards me, she says, "I can't find your cake, but here's another one we can offer you.  It's strawberry shortcake."

Oh Thank you, Father God, for redeeming my mistake in ordering a cake I doubt Noel will like and replacing it with a cake I know he will love! 

Lord, as soon as Noel stepped into the house, he asked me what kind of cake I got him... "strawberry shortcake?"  This was his first thought.  In all honestly, I looked him straight in the eyes and said, "Nope, I didn't order strawberry shortcake."  *smirk*  Thank you, Lord, that Noel, who is so very good at guessing surprises...  and I... who suck at diverting his attention while not lying, was able to keep this one gift a secret surprise.

Thank you, Lord God, for rectifying my mistake and maintain the surprise for my husband tomorrow.  Lord, I ask that you bless Noel with many new memories as we fill the next couple days with family, friends, a movie outting, sushi, go-karting, and more.

In Jesus' name I pray, amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy