Monday, April 7, 2014

Port Away!

I’m so excited!

God, I’m finally getting this port out of my chest today.  I ask that you provide the same person who placed this port in my body to be the same person who takes it out.  I ask that you help the procedure go smoothly.  Guide the medical staff to hear and remember that I only want local anesthesia and not to be sedated (recovery time takes longer).  Help my body to not have any negative reactions and please provide minimal scarring over time.  Father God, also can you provide so that I don’t cough during the procedure?  I think I’m coming down with a cold, but I don’t want to delay the removal of this port; please manage any coughing or symptoms that I may have.  In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Shiver.  That's cold!

A sponge containing a bright orange chemical runs across my upper chest.  Left to right and then left again.  Excess fluid trickles down the outside of my left arm.  Up my neck, wet and slighty sticky, I feel the sponge coating everywhere and anywhere around my potential surgical site.  The port’s on the left side of my chest.  Wait, why in the world is this lady applying the antiseptic cleaner all the way to my right chest?  *mental shrug*  Whatevers, at least they’re letting me stay awake for this procedure!

Surprisingly weighty, a large blue paper and plastic sheet is placed on my abdomen.  Unfolding the cover, a medical personnel extends the sheet up and over my head.  Now, all I see is a lot of blue.  A large hand reaches under the cover and something is removed.  Firmly pressing down, I feel sticky adhesive plastic applied to my left chest.  I’m guessing that this is a sterile blue sheet with an adhesive window for the surgical procedure.  Crumpling upwards, the blue is lifted away from my face so I can peek out and breathe.  Too bad I can’t see anything… they have my head turned to the right as they work on my left chest. 

Bummer.

Stab.  Prick.  I feel the needle injecting lidocaine into my left chest area. Bit by bit, I feel the pricks less and less.  Quiet.  A slight tugging sensation.  What’s going on?  Oh, the scalpel is cutting an incision over the port.  A little discomfort then a small tug… guess that’s the port coming out.

Stitch.  Stitch.  Stitch.  Dermal glue.  Finished!  The blue drape is pulled away from my face, chest and body; rolled into a massive ball and thrown into the garbage.  Procedure complete!

Hurray!

Back in the recovery room: a quick check-up, change of clothes, paperwork signing and final care instructions.  I just remember nodding my head to instructions about ice for the swelling, use of pain meds, how to shower and care for my incision… in one ear and out the other.  I have no intention of icing the incision because excessive icing can delay wound closure (inflammation is not always bad when it comes to healing).  Pain meds… I have no intention of taking any, I can easily distract myself by doing something to keep myself occupied (plus, I don't trust my body with meds right now... any meds are likely to de-stabilize my body).  Shower?  The dermal glue is present so the wound area is sealed so long as I don’t pick at it, it’ll come off in a week or two.  Done, now I can finally eat!  *wide grin*

Father God, thank you for providing such accommodating medical staff to my multiple requests and endless questions.  Thank you that I was able to get my port removed even faster than the original scheduled time and out a lot quicker than the staff expected.  Thank you for managing the pain and swelling so that I can basically ignore the incision site.  Lord, even though it seems insignificant, thank you that I can wear my normal bras again without the strap aggravating my port site.  Thank you that soon, I won’t have to worry about accidently scratching the skin over a protruding port.  Thank you that during the surgical procedure, I did not need to cough at all!

Lord Jesus, I want to go back to work again!  I worked full-time 4 days last week, was off this Monday for the port removal and now have been off sick from work with a cold.  Please heal my body, my throat and clear my nose so I can breathe easier, talk clearly, stop hacking and not sniffle.

In Jesus’ name I give thanks for these extra days of rest and increased physical stability, amen.

Just wanted to say that God is really awesome!  This cold of mine was delayed until _after_ my port removal.  I also celebrated my brother, Winston's, birthday (on his birthday) Monday evening with my entire family!  Yes, having a cold sucks... and I feel bad about not being able to go in to work... but I'm getting better again.  Can't wait to start serving again in my workplace!  The energy, excitement, constant adaptation and purposeful work... it's awesome.  I feel very blessed to have the opportunity to serve in such a great work envirmonment.  I raise my hands in praise to my Lord Jesus for so many many awesome blessings!

May you be blessed this week to see how great and fulfilling work and life and family  truly is.  Love ya, Kristy.  =D


Winston's birthday celebration with my family:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy