Wednesday, March 12, 2014

New Information

“Here, this is for you.”

“What is it?  The packet’s really thick!  Oh… something from Stanford.  Hmmmm, no one told me to expect any packages from them.”  *shrug*

Tearing the bulky envelope open, I pull out a thick sheaf of papers.  Huh?  My name.  At least I know this information is for me.  Flip.  Flip.  Quick scan.  What?  Huge amount of hard-core medical terminology… something about a gene and clinical trial?  Okay.  Back up.  Front page.  What does it really say?

Date of Collection: 01 August 2013 (my most recent abdominal surgery date)
Specimen Site: Liver
Specimen Received: 22 January 2014 (probably sent for sampling after stopping chemotherapy)
Report Date: 24 February 2014 (about when I found out I may trial another type of chemotherapy)

Genomic Alternation Identified: PTCH1 loss exons 1-2 (gene sequence missing a segment which means that something in my cells isn't being properly regulated, possibly leading to the cancerous growths)
Therapy Associated with Potential Clinical Benefit: Vismodegib, FDA approved for use in basal cell carcinoma
Clinical Trials: 2

Taking some time to assimilate the information, I finally understand.  This packet of papers state that there is a known genetic alteration in the given sample of my tumor.  Furthermore, there is a chemotherapy medication with the potential to affect cells with this particular altered gene.  The medication’s goal would be to inhibit the mutated genetic pathway, potentially causing a slow down or even stopping my abnormal cancerous growths... maybe even with the potential to halt all my tumor formations.  Yay!

So, putting all the information together, if my scans ever come out positive for more tumors, I will likely be placed into one of these two available clinical trials.  At the same time, even though these trials are phase I, meaning just starting the testing phase for my type of cancer, the medication is already commonly in use for another type of cancer.  Hurray!  The side effects are already known.  The dosage already has an acceptable range of effectiveness (even though it’s for another type of cancer).  This option isn’t horrible.  In fact, even though this chemotherapy drug isn’t guaranteed to work… It’s definitely a better chance!

Lord God, thank you that my doctor sent a tumor sample in for genetic testing.  Thank you for guiding the testing process so that my doctors and I have a better grasp of what may be wrong.  Thank you for a potential course of action if or when my cancer becomes visible.

Lord, thank you also that through blood sampling, I now know that my vitamin B2 levels are low.  Since I started taking vitamin B2 supplements these last two days, my body has re-stabilized!  Hurray!

Little bit by little bit, I feel that I’m getting a better grasp at controlling my body… it’s actions and it’s reactions.  Father God, I lift your name in praise for enabling me to work with my doctors to figure out the new complexities of my body.  Whenever I feel hopeless or stuck, Father, you open new doors, provide more information, offer new approaches to my care.

Lord, I can’t wait to get better, go back to work and have lots of energy to enjoy the beautiful outside weather!  I offer up my praise, my heart-felt gratitude at your mercy.  Thank you, Lord God, for your consistent character, demonstration of love towards me and your power through impeccable timing.

Because of Jesus, I can pray directly to my Father in Heaven. Thank you for making me who and what I am. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy