Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Promise: 8th Annual Church Paintball Event

Today is finally the day of our 8th Annual Church Paintball a Event!

God, you promised that I'll be able to play with no holds barred.  I will trust in your promise and your provision.  Forget the last couple days of dizziness or weakness; today, it's going to be amazingly awesome because you made this event possible!

Father God of all Heaven and Earth, into your hands I release this event into your care.



"Start in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... Go.  Go.  Go. Go. GO!"

My heart pounds with the thump echoing in my ears.  Adrenaline courses through my veins. My eyes shine bright in anticipation and my feet bounce against the ground.  I love being on the paintball field; just being here makes me feel alive!

Holding myself still, I assess my side of the field.  Lord, where do you want me to go? There's 40 people here.  What if there's somebody who really needs or wants help... God, don't let anyone fall through the cracks today.  Guide me to serve so that your Spirit will shine and your presence be undeniably present!

Crouching nearby, I see one of our youth girls.  Gun in hand, she huddles behind a wall, unmoving.

Sliding forward, I gently I touch her shoulder and lean towards her left ear.  "Are you okay?  Is this scary?"

She slowly nods her head yes.

"No one is shooting here right now.  There's no paint hitting this wall or the ground around you.  Come, let's take a look to see if there's anyone you can shoot."

I peek around the wall, I encourage the girl to join me in scanning our surroundings.  No one in sight.  Good.  
Coaxing her forward, we move to the next wall.  Ah, perfect!  No paint is flying in this direction.  Yes, opponents are visible.  Easy targets.  *drool*

"Can you see those guys in the middle?"

Cautiously, the girl peeks out.  Quickly, she pulls back and nods her head.  Guiding my hand along her gun, I position the gun against her shoulder and adjust the angle of the barrel.  "Okay, all you have to do is lean your body out, keep your gun pointed in this direction and pull the trigger."

"Game over.  Time's up!"

God, give this girl the strength and courage to step beyond her fears to enjoy the fun that paintball can be.  Give her and the rest of these kids (and adults) the support each needs to step forward, the ability to get past the painful hits, the courage to step back onto the battlefield, and the strength to stay positive in the face of loosing.  Lord, I ask for you to bless this group with fun, laughter and integrity regardless of winning, loosing, painful hits, or even unfair calls.  I ask that you show everyone this day what it is like to have you present.



We've only finished the first round of games, but already sweat trickles down my chest.  My gun, still unused, sags heavily in my hands.  Today's going to be hot!  
Already, two people need band aids for cuts; one from a paintball, another from falling into the castle's moat.  Another guy limps off the field from a hard hit on his thigh. Around me, I hear stories of people getting shot in the groin and one on the neck.  Ouch!  

God, is this really okay?  There's a lot of minor injuries first thing in the morning!  Will anyone still want to play after this?  I know I prayed for openings to serve and for people to be loved on; but even for a paintball event, what kind of calamities are you going to allow for the rest of this day?

I'm scared, a little anxious.  But isn't this what I prayed for?  I asked God to be in complete control.  

As I shuffle my feet in resignation, a movement on my left catches my eye.  Turning my head, I see a bunch of guys crowding around a girl on the bench and two staff members present.  Oh shoot.  Is this girl part of our group?  One of the guys hovering around her is from my church youth group.  Heart sinking, I toss my gun on a nearby table and rush over.

Eyes glazed.  Minimal response.  Slowed speech.  Body drooping forward.  Not good.  I focus on the conversations around me:

"Yeah, I had to carry her."
                                                                   "Probably got too hot."
                                    "How are you feeling?"
                                                                                              "For a little bit, she was out."

                       Concern                         Helplessness
                                      Desperation                                                   Hesitation
                                                                                    Inexperience

Oh Lord, already?

I get the closest guy to lay the girl on the ground.  I send another for wet towels and hear footsteps running off.  Without turning away, I lift the girl's head and hand her a nearby Gatorade.  "Take a couple of sips every minute, no gulping."

Drat.  It's hard to drink laying down.  Too late to lift her upright.  Laying down is safer in case she blacks out.  

Taking a nearby sweatshirt, I stuff it under the girl's head for a pillow. Someone hands me two wet towels.  Perfect.  I quickly place one on her neck and hand her the other towel.  "Use this to wipe your face."  

Looking down, the girl appears more alert.  "Here, drink another couple of sips.  Cooling your body more would be good.  If your willing, squeeze the wet towel and soak your shirt across the abdomen.  It's hot enough your clothes will dry fast."

Oh Lord, did this really have to happen so early in the day?  Give me the wisdom to provide appropriate care for fluid dehydration.  Give me the eyes to assess this girl's body and plan for the next step.  Help me to manage today's event to completely eradicate the chance of anybody else getting dehydrated!

Father God, I know I asked for no major injuries, but this is cutting it pretty darn close!  In this type of heat, it's really hard to recover.  It sucks, but this girl may not be able to participate in today's paintball event.  Should I pull her out?  Return her money?  God, please give me your wisdom!  I want her to be able to play today.  I want her to be stable and safely play paintball with her friends!  I want her day to be filled with laughter, fun experiences, and for her to enjoy the deep sense of community only you can create.  I want her healthy so that her friends can also wholeheartedly enjoy the blessings of playing with and against each other.

"Here, make sure you sit in the shade.  Still feeling okay!  Dizzy?  Nauseas?  Discomfort? I'm honestly not sure if you can participate in the rest of paintball today.  Keep drinking sips of fluid; if you like Gatorade, switch between that and water.  I leave the decision up to you whether you choose to play or not.  But you've gotta be very careful; if this happens again, it'll be worse the second time around."

God help!



"Kristy, can I get a band aid?"

Turning around, I see that the next game, or maybe even the third game, has already ended.  "Sure.  Show me the cut."

My eyes pop open.  The outer skin is completely torn off!  I've never seen this happen in paintball before... At least not from a paintball!  A full circular wound is visible completely torn down to the reticular layer, a criss-cross mesh of yellow-white fibers.  Great.  What in the world is happening out there?!?

"Is this a paintball shot?"

"Yeah."

Oh my goodness, today is so out of my control.  Yup God, all yours.  What happens today I know you allowed it, so in whatever you allow, please protect these children!  

Arghhhhh... I wanna pull my hair out!  Today is dangerous beyond what my words can express!  This is not normal paintball!



Father God, as always, you are beyond amazing!  I asked for 40 players; you ended up providing 41.  I asked for your help in gathering over half the needed payments and electronic waivers on the morning of the event before 9am; you completed this process in 30-minutes by 8:55am when my personal best still took 60-minutes.  I asked for no major injuries; there were none... But there were PLENTY of minor injuries.  I asked for opportunities to serve and share in how playing paintball with integrity, prayer, and a good attitude is our way of bringing God into our passions, our hobbies; Lord, you answered this request too.  I asked that the girl who got dehydrated would fully recover to play paintball with her friends; she did.  But not only that, God, you gave her the energy and ability to play so well that she surrendered players and became the key in winning games.  I asked for protection of our youngest players and promised to keep them out of the advanced games while my neighbor went to pick up the pizza; Lord, you protected them even as they participated in the advanced games (I had no idea they came in on the field and joined the other side).  *deep bow of apology to the parents*

I still shudder when I think of all the potential injuries, dehydration issues, hurt feelings... But Lord, you took care of it all!  No twisted ankles.  No complaints of headaches past the single occurrence of dehydration which spurred me on to constantly bug everyone to drink water. Lord, you even provided extra water so that there was no need to portion fluids throughout the entire day.  

Father God, I thank you for the laughter of everyone present.  I thank you for the strength you gave me so that I could completely participate in today's event!  I thank you for providing just the right people at all the right times to help run this event smoothly.  I thank you for two friendly referees.  I thank you for providing treasured friends to share their time and energy to selflessly teach and protect the new players.  I thank you for even providing people who we've never even met before to guard our bags so nothing got stolen.  I thank you that in the chaotic return of equipment, everything was completely returned.  I thank you that even though we played really late, the late arrival of the pizza allowed everyone to eat fresh pizza instead of old cold pizza.

Lord, you are all-powerful indeed!  This entire day is a blessing.  Thank you for the chance to see you so clearly present, so clearly in control, and so clearly purposeful!  Thank you for allowing me to participate in your story and walk beside you in this journey of sharing your glory. Thank you for loving me enough to answer all my demands, my requests, my wishes all so that I can shout that my God is a living God, real in my life, and visible by your provisions.  

I am humbled by your goodness.  I am awed by your power.  I am freed by your love.  I am comforted by your unbroken promises.

Father God, in you, I lay my life.  In the name of Jesus, give me the strength to serve and ground my identity in you.  With the Holy Spirit, may I shine brightly as a small reflection of you on this earth.

Oh yeah, and one more thing.  God, can you continue to give me strength?  Tomorrow is a practice with our other paintball team, Crimson Rage.  I would like to participate... just a little bit.  Please?  I really want to participate at least in the second half.  I know I'm crazy.  Today alone with the heat, full gear, carrying my heavy gun, and playing paintball would wipe out any unseasoned, physically untrained person.  For the past 6-weeks, I've been mostly stuck in bed with a couple days where you blessed me with the strength to bed out of bed for half a day.  Today is my first day out of bed for so many hours, I should be completely drained.  In fact, logically I know I should rest tomorrow.  Forget logic.  Lord, will you please bless me with the energy to play more paintball?  If you will it, I believe anything is possible!

*huge grin*  Well, God, if you're going to teach me to pray boldly, I'm going to do it!

In Jesus' name I boldly ask my Father in Heaven for another day of playing paintball... one in which I can fully enjoy myself without physically crashing or being too sore to move. Amen.







Video clip of us playing paintball also found at https://youtu.be/Hd1G450Dr90

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy