Sunday, April 29, 2012

Diet change in progress?

Ever told yourself that you'd stay away from candy or chocolate or ice cream?  *wide grin*  I've tried more times than I can count!  Never successful.  *sheepish grin*

This past season of Lent, I attempted to give up random unplanned snacking.  My goal: to not grab food that looked good and immediately stuff it in my mouth.  I wanted to hold back, use food as a reminder to spend some time with God in prayer... and then if i still wanted the snack, I could eat it!

I was successful.... ummmm... maybe 75% of my first week or two?  By my third week... what did I want to do to remember God during Lent again?  By the fourth week... Lent?  *puzzled look*

My personal will-power is non-existent!  *hanging head in shame* 

The reason I'm letting you in on my weakness is so that you can gauge my current dietary changes... and I don't believe these changes happened by my own will-power.  *smirk*  I have none.

First step: a video my uncle gave me labeled Forks over Knives.  This video suggested that all meat and dairy products be eliminated for health benefits.  Research studies in this video support the theory that meat and diary products can lead to health problems such as cancer or aggravate other health issues such as diabetes.  Ummmmm.... I LOVE MEAT!  I don't know how to eat a meal free of meat products and usually starve in 1.5 hours after eating a big salad.  *sniffle*  The thought of no meat in a meal makes me cringe.  Forget the health benefits... not happening! 

But just in case...  Father God, if you really really want me and Noel to change our dietary habits... I don't think it's possible... but if you want us to, then you've gotta teach us how to eat!  Motivate us to buy the proper foods for our household.  Provide us yummy food.  And most important... don't let me feel hungry all the time else the diet changes will be impossible!  In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Second step:  black bean vegetarian burger meal at our monthly counselor meeting.  Bean burger?  The thought alone makes me shudder.  However, eating the meal wasn't so bad... the black beans almost have a meaty texture, the taste was pretty good (way better than the veggie burgers I've nibbled at prior to this experience), and the most important part... I didn't get hungry!  *surprised look*  Maybe a meal without meat and dairy is really possible?

Third step:  Noel and I make the decision to change our diet from 80% meat to 10-20% meat and minimize our exposure to dairy products... gotta start somewhere right?  I can't see myself cutting out everything!  I still have cheese (yummy!) in the fridge... I've got a freezer full of frozen meat... and a pantry filled with processed foods like cookies and quick snacks.  *wide grin*  All my known dishes use meat... this is gonna be really really tough!

Fourth step: when buying groceries... no more random snacks allowed, maybe one meat product allowed, and the rest are veggies and LOTS of beans.  I'm getting to really love going to Trader Joe's... yummy assortment of different food ideas.  Brown rice medley is yummy with chicken broth and garlic, apple butter jam is super yummy on rice cakes, home-made trail mix is my new snack... I throw in almonds, cashews, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, cranberries, sometimes dried bananas or apples.  I'm learning the importance of prepping healthier emergency snacks for when our meals don't quite satisfy my hunger.  I still fail at planning ahead, which leads to me eating cookies and candy.  *shrug*  My purpose isn't to be perfect... just to eat better.  I seem to be on the right track.  =D  Found some yummy ice-cream-like products made from soy or coconut!  *drool* 

Side note... we've been able to cut down Noel's use of diabetes medicine with this change in our eating habits.  Even with the decreased medicine dosages, Noel's blood sugars are more stable and he's even lost weight!  Looking good Hubby!

Fifth step: understanding recipes... this is a learning process of what foods to combine so that I don't get hungry in an hour.  I now know that no matter what I mix with a salad... I get hungry really quick!  No salad meals for me!  I've also learned that a mix of beans, rice, tofu, and nuts feel like a normal meal... just can't eat any of these items by itself.  Anytime I don't mix enough stuff together, I feel like I'm STARVING!  *grimace*  This is when I start digging for snacks.  *wide grin*  Learning that onion and garlic, salt and pepper, carrots and peas, tofu, rice... these are easy to store and use.... but I'm so used to cooking these items with meat!  Work in progress...  String cheese anyone?  *wink*

Today, Noel cooked rice with eggs, peas, carrots, salt and pepper... we added cashews and raisins as an experiment.  Wow, surprisingly yummy!  This was our first self-made almost meatless dish that's not a bean-based soup.  Hurray!!!  This diet thing really takes a lot of thought and effort, but we're doing it!

Actually, I feel better with our new dietary changes.  Even though I haven't lost any significant weight like Noel did (probably because I still eat lots of random snacks at work),  my body is actually starting to crave food with less meat.  *surprised look*  Never in my lifetime did I think my tastes would change so drastically in just 2 months!  I know I read that tastes can change... but somehow, I always doubted that I could survive without meat and diary.  *smirk*  God is proving me wrong. 

Lord Father in heaven, you really are an awesome God!  You take my entire lifetime of poor dietary habits and enable Noel and I to turn our lives around.  You gave us the motivation, the recipes, the backup snacks, the support from our friends, and the proof in Noel's improved health that eating less meat and diary really does make a difference!  I'm still shocked that I can wave away the thought of meals consisting solely of meat.  I'm still puzzled by how much my life has changed in these past 2 months.  Thank you, Lord, for giving Noel and I a feeling of excitement as we try out new meals.  Thank you that shopping is a fun challenge we participate in together.  Thank you, Lord God, that you've place Noel and I both in a mental frame-of-mind to support each other... I couldn't do it without my husband being so interested and motivated in our new dietary lifestyle... by myself... totally not happening!

Father, I find it really interesting that you took such a casual prayer of mine and turned my life around.  You show your power again in my life in such an unexpected way.  I never expected to ever change my eating habits... but I did offer the chance of change in my heart and you actually took me up on it!  I'm grateful beyond measure for the improved health of my husband.  I'm awed at the money we're saving with our new meal plans.  I'm still in shock at my own positive emotional response to having my life changed again. 

Lord, you really are a wonderful, mysterious, funny, loving Father God who also loves to play pranks and take up challenges I throw your way while internally thinking "impossible."  When you prove me wrong, I get my eyes opened again and again to the proof of your love for me, your power, and that the word "impossible" isn't in your vocabulary.  =D

Thank you, Lord, for the blessing of Noel's improved health and mine as well.  Please continue to teach us how to cook yummy foods and really praise you for what we eat.

In Jesus' holy name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy