Monday, May 7, 2012

Logistics with Bigfoot

Sunday, May 6, 2012

I'm so tired!!!  Our youth minister was away this weekend and I unofficially took up the task of reminding our youth that their registration forms, payment, and shirt orders were all due today.  Fielding questions regarding additional friends of youth coming last minute to the annual Bigfoot retreat... did I remember to note them all down?  *dizzy head spinning*

Due to new elements in this year's Bigfoot event... there are a lot of unaccounted-for items or issues.  Likely won't happen again, but definitely a learning experience.  *wide grin*  That's life right?  *wink*

This year's official Bigfoot deadline was supposed to be May 13th... but I need the head count to order T-shirts so the deadline got moved up to this week.  *sigh*  At this point... even if I forget something, I'm at the point where I couldn't care if I didn't order enough shirts... at least that's what I'd like to tell myself. 

In truth, I really do care.   I want each youth to have the chance to come to Bigfoot, to be able to experience the crazy outdoor fun, and to get to know God in a different setting.  I want every youth going to feel wanted and cared for.  I want to make sure that each person who goes can have a shirt so he or she won't feel left out... but at the same time, I want to be responsible in handling some of the finances and don't want to over-order.  *deep sigh*  I can't read the future...

I want, I want, I want... what does God want for this event?  Who does God want to go?  How does God want each youth to get there?  I don't know the future, but this God I believe in does. 

Regarding all this logistical stuff...  This event isn't supposed to be in my hands alone... in fact, this is God's event... so why am I trying to take over?  Nothing good will occur if I place responsibilities on myself that aren't supposed to be there!  I'll just have to depend on God to make sure each youth has an appropriately sized shirt, that finances aren't over-spent, that provisions for transportation and preparations of the heart are in his care.  Not my duty.  *relaxed sigh*  How'd this prideful attitude that I need to handle Bigfoot slip in anyways?  Grrrrrr... I know God made me capable of handling a lot of different situations... but that doesn't mean I'm supposed to take on these situations.  Silly me.  =D

This is part of what it means when I follow God... when I want to do work for him... I don't have to worry because I believe that everything will be taken care of.  The part I take in planning the logistics of this Bigfoot event will ease the management issues for other counselors and our youth minister, but nothing's impossible in God's hands... I just have to do the best I can, but don't need to worry if I mess up.  Since I'm depending on God for this event, I'll just add to that dependence and have God make sure I order enough shirts and that we don't forget any kids.  *wide grin*

What still needs to be done?  The youth need to be organized into small groups... this set-up usually includes a female and male counselor and anywhere from 3-8 youth.  There's also the game groups to set-up, organization for the snacks and post-food clean-up.  *wide grin*  All this gets taken care of in time... happily, not my duty.  =D

Lord Father in heaven, I do believe that you really are all-powerful, all-knowledgeable... capable of handling everything and anything!  Thank you for the opportunity to vent and reorganize my thoughts using this blog post.  Thank you, Father, for the reminder that you are Lord over my life and over this Bigfoot event.  No matter how crazy everything feels, Lord, I thank you that nothing truly important will be missed!

Lord, I ask that you handle the rest of this Bigfoot event.  By trusting in you, God, I know that the pressure of getting every detail correct is now in your more-than-capable hands.  What relief to know that I'm not in charge and that I don't need to be.  Thank you, Lord, for making me capable of managing a large and complex event... but thanks even more that I don't have to!

Father God, I give into your hands Bigfoot (not that you didn't already have it... but that I can personally let go).  Lord, I ask that you prepare the hearts and situations of everyone you've called to go.  I ask that whomever you want at Bigfoot, will be able and willing to be there. 

As the first aide person present at Bigfoot, I ask for wisdom in what bandages to bring, which allergy meds to bring and give out, wisdom in managing crazy bug-bites or injuries.  But even more than that, I ask you for the heart to serve these youth... to love them, to listen to them, to really hear them, and to have enough time to spend with each one as you've called... may no youth get ignored, be left-out, or feel unheard.  Soften my heart to do your will in your way and not my own.  Give me, all the youth, all the counselors and the speaker a wonderful weekend together where we can see you reflected in each other. 

Thank you, Father, for taking away the burden I placed on myself.

In the name of your son, Jesus Christ, I pray and thank you, Father God, for being present in all the circumstances surrounding this Bigfoot event, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy