Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Overview of Backyard project =D

Monday, July 9, 2012

I finished collecting everyone's permission to post these pictures.  =D 

For those following my blog... thanks!!!  I've decided to include pictures of the overall progression of my backyard these last couple of years... Heeheheeee... I'm shocked as I look over these pictures!  It's hard to even imagine so much change is possible.  =O

Sometime in October 2009, I got a notice from our home owner's association that my greenhouse was in violation of the rules... the roof stuck over the fence top, visible to the local community.  *sniffle* I want to keep my greenhouse to help grow my orchids. *sigh*

Hey wait!  If I put the greenhouse slightly underground... no problems!  I'll dig a 2 foot hole, set my greenhouse into the ground with retaining walls to keep out the dirt and create a drainage system out past the fence where the dirt level is even lower! 

So starts the backyard adventure on December 29, 2009.

I gather a whole bunch of youth kids, friends, and family to dig a 2-foot hole... After all, I can't do it all myself right?  *smirk*  This is called voluntary slave labor by some... I call it a community-building event that teaches use of unique tools and techniques.  =D
From left to right: my Dad, Andrew L, Derek L, John P, me, David K, Eric V, and Cricket (Noel's busy with dumping dirt).  All the weeds and little roots really bound the top 6 inches of soil in place so we cut chunks of dirt out in squares.    
2 jackhammers, numerous shovels, 2 wheelbarrows, and hours of insane back-breaking work!  Thank you everyone for helping dig, shovel and move dirt for hours...  Thank you for loving me and blessing me!  I really enjoyed working with all of you doing this crazy back-breaking labor... *deep bow*





Janurary 9, 2010: Another day... D Bo, Noel, and my Dad dug until the very end.  Success!  =D  Hehehehe... D Bo... you helped me dig the hole, then you helped me fill it!  *smirk*  Such inefficiency on my part.  And Dad, thank you for teaching me so much growing up that I am able to design, build, and execute so many personalized unique home projects.  *big hug*
I think D Bo and Noel are ready to kill me!!!  Ummmm... sorry everyone, a _little_ more work than I expected!
An unhappy husband drafted into clean-up duty... but at least the greenhouse is fully set and leveled!  YAY!!!
May 11, 2011:  So many weeds!  The backyard isn't very useable... but my orchids are really happy!
Looking at this backyard... *deep sigh*  I've got a decent amount of backyard space I can't use... and if I sell this house, how many people want a greenhouse buried in the ground with a step to get into it?  *tsk tsk*  I can't host any backyard parties here... too messy.  Grrrrr.... what to do... what to do?  *deep thinking*

Oh... I know!  I'll sell the greenhouse, fill in the hole, and landscape the backyard!  *wide grin*  Big project here I come!  Hmmmm... I think I'll need help again.  Who should I ask this time?  Ah... I know!  I'll ask some paintball friends, friends from work, friends from church... that should do it!  I prayed for free dirt with minimal rocks to be delivered to my house on May 14, 2011.  Okay... dirt, check.  Friends, check.  Shovels, check.  Jackhammers to compress the dirt, check.
First batch of helpers: Noel, me, Brandon, D Bo, David & Jean... yay!!!  We're ready... I think?  =O
Howie also arrives to help, hurray!!!  The amount of dirt is more than I expected...  I'm so thankful for friends willing to participate in a crazy ridiculous amount of hard labor.  Silly me didn't listen to Noel when he said we'd have too much dirt...so, we got too much dirt.  I'm so thankful for everyone who dug from about 11am to 6pm... unending digging, moving, and pounding... you guys worked so hard and accomplished so much!  *super heartfelt hugs*  Our jackhammer broke so we rented this beast to compress the dirt... *scary*  This machine jumps so only the guys handled this thumper.  *shudder*  Thank God no one got hurt! 
After 7pm, with so much dirt still left, I almost cried in despair!  Thank God friends from church came to the rescue!  So starts the second batch of helpers to move the excess dirt and pile it loosely over a perfectly flat backyard.  *sniffle*  Poor Noel, he never stopped digging!  Sorry Hubby...
Everyone in group 2 dug dirt and cleaned until midnight (in the rain):  Dustin & Valene, Melissa & Josh, Matt T, Robert and Noel in the back.  Thank you everyone in both groups that helped out on this crazy day... I was totally out of my depth!  Grrrrr.... stupid prideful me... I drag everyone into a project, hard-core beyond reason... because of what?  Because of my pride and not listening to Noel's warning!  *deep sigh*  The amount of dirt moved by hand was beyond anything I ever imagined possible... thank you for the love, patience, and strength you showed me as each of you sacrificed so much time and energy, covered in dirt and sweat... putting aside your personal time and plans... in order to shower me with your friendship and love when I desperately needed your help... thank you for being there!  *deep bow*




This is the result of Kristy getting too much dirt (20 cubic yards)... if only I got 10, it would have been perfect.  *tsk tsk*
May 16, 2011: Got rid of the extra dirt.  This is me digging and raking the ground flat after work.  Much better right?  Backyard design assisted by my neighbor, Chloe.  =D
May 19, 2011: Chloe and I organizing rocks to edge the planting areas.  This girl is awesome!  She was only 7 at the time and performed the following tasks with me: chiseled and shaped sandstone, organized the large flagstones into a pattern like a large puzzle, then mixed and even set the concrete!  How many kids can say that they've done all that?  Wow!  I also want to thank our neighbor, Andy G, for helping me carry and move the heavy sandstone when you didn't even know me yet!  Thank you, Andy, for being such a blessing... you saw that I needed help, and you came.  =D
May 20, 2011: Poor D Bo... you've done just about a LOT of _everything_ in my backyard project!  Wow... I'm beyond thankful for the friendship God's blessed us with and your willingness to always give a helping hand.  *deep bow*  Here's D Bo chiseling away to shape the flagstone... then he helped me set a large section of it in concrete while dripping sweat.  =D
September 22, 2011:  Me and Joan with a large root... gotta remove the root so that we can grade the ground flat.  But boy can this girl dig, chop, and cut!  *eyes wide open*  So strong!   She also chiseled sandstone, puzzled out their proper fit, and helped set the flagstones into concrete.  Thank you so much Joan for your friendship and your help!  I love spending time with you... you're so strong, smart, creative.  Wow!
September 28, 2011: this is what laying out the flagstones look like... this part actually takes a LOT of work (especially if you're cheap like me and want to minimize waste)  =D  Here, you can see the work of D Bo in laying out the lighter stones, Noel and Chloe in filling the areas between the flagstones, and Joan in the handiwork and layout of the red flagstones.  With each step of this backyard project... vast improvements in technique are observed...  but would I do this project over again?  Are you crazy?  I'll do someone else's backyard, but my backyard's never coming apart!  *wink*  I'll live with my mistakes.
June 23, 2012: Our neighbor, Stephen, and Noel working together on grinding the sandstone flat... partially because the flagstones weren't laid perfectly even, but also because we tucked little pebbles in the concrete and wanted to grind the pebbles flat with the rest of our backyard surface.  =D  A HUGE thanks to Stephen for helping move and shape the stone, lift heavy machinery, grind the backyard so beautifully flat, and dropping by to help with many more bits here and there than I can mention!  Stephen... you're really awesome!  Thanks for always helping!!!  *thumbs up*
To my husband, Noel... I can't even say enough "thanks" for the support, uncomplaining assistance, and long-term patience with my insistence on executing these insane projects.  This backyard project is only the fourth large-scale project, but this one has definitely been the longest!  Thank you Hubby for always believing in me when I tell you that "in theory, my projects will work, but I've never done it before."  *wide grin*  Hub-chan... your tolerance and strength amaze me over and over again... instead of throwing fits of anger or yelling... you continue to support me both physically and emotionally... even when I'm wrong.  *big hug*  Love ya lots, Noel!

And last, but not least, Father God, thank you for making EVERYTHING possible!  The time, the will, the vast support you've provided in executing this backyard project.  Through you, Lord, I've met so many neighbors, gained new friendships, learned new techniques, grown stronger both emotionally and physically... Lord Father, you grow impossible dreams of mine and make them possible.  A cool backyard project, neat... a long-term prayer for creating community with my neighbors, answered... a deepening of friendships, still growing... an appreciation for my husband, growing deeper and stronger... a clearer knowledge of myself (my strengths, my faults, my pride issues), yup... I'm definitely seeing a new part of myself... both good and the bad.  *wide grin*

Lord, I just love that you not only answer one prayer, but that you use circumstances to answer many prayers in almost impossible ways.  Thank you for the crazy impossible events I've experienced through this backyard project: the perfect timing of materials, assistance, support, weather... Lord, every single material placed into this backyard project was bought at a discounted price!  *awe*  In the smallest to the largest detail... Lord Father, when I look, I can see your hand at work in the extravagance of blessings I've experienced, in the safety and the completion of this project. 

Father God, I ask that before the end of October of this year, you help me fully complete this backyard project in its entirety so that Noel and I may host a neighborhood pumpkin carving event.  *wide grin*  This is my timeline and my prayer request... that the flagstone (even the little corners) get ground flat, stone sealed, rusted shelving painted, orchids hung from the metal shelves and automatic watering system complete.  *wink*  Not too much right?  Yeah right... I feel doomed... but Lord, even with my sister's upcoming wedding and all the associated preparations, work, obligations, the time to hang out with friends and family... even in the midst of everything Lord, I know that with your provisions, this project will soon be complete.  I can't wait for this project to be finished... I've already got another in mind.  Hehehehe...  *sheepish grin* 

Lord, I just keep pushing limits and boundaries huh?  Help me not drive my husband, nor my family and friends, crazy with new projects... instead, I ask, Lord Father, that you give me a heart to honor and serve with love those around me as you've blessed me with being served and so loved.

In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy