Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Basics of Survival

Monday, July 16, 2012

Wow... time really flies by quickly!  My blog posts are coming in on Mondays instead of Sunday... hehehheee... more like Monday night into Tuesday.  *grimace*  Making myself sit down in one place to type feels just too much like homework... ahhhhhh.... manga.  *wide grin*  I get easily distracted... or rather, I intentionally allow myself to become distracted.  *wink*

Anyways... what I wanted to talk about... there are 3 things floating in my head right now: personal annoyance with post-chemo weakness, super excited feeling that God totally answered my prayers about getting a purple/black paintball gun super cheap, and joy at time spent with my husband and brother taking a basic survival course.  *super wide smile*

Today, since I'm lazy... I'm just going to write about the survival course!  This course started as a Groupon gift for my brother, Winston.  So exciting!  I get to spend time with my brother and husband learning some really cool stuff!

Debris shelter came first:
1.  Choose a good location, out of wind and potentially damp areas.  Ideal goal is to build the shelter facing east, head higher than feet if the ground isn't flat, and over a slight mound where materials are readily available.
2.  Framework built of a sturdy thick ridge-pole with smaller ribs leaning against it, triangular shape, to shed water and a sturdy doorway.  If the frame's gaps are too big, can weave smaller sticks through the ribs to shrink the openings.  Size of the shelter's framework should be as small as possible to wiggle into!
3.  Pile 4-6 feet of loose debris over the frame, about 10 inches of debris as ground insulation, and more loose debris inside the shelter as a blanket.  Goal is to minimize air-space.  Treat the debris like a blanket.  What is debris you ask?  It's all the loose dried leaves and sticks and dirt you can find laying around!
4.  Wriggle into the shelter and pull debris to block the entrance-way... supposedly 2-3 feet thick.  How do I pull that much stuff behind me in a tight spot?

Here's a video of me climbing into the partially-made debris shelter.  This was a group effort of 8 people in 40 minutes.  The shelter has a lot of wasted space in it's length and not enough debris, but I gotta say that it was sturdy enough to walk on!  *wide grin*  Thank God I didn't notice any bugs!!!

Kristy climbing into partially-made debris shelter

Starting a fire... now this is difficult!!!  The instructor started his fire from nothing in less than a minute!  Looks sooooo easy... it's not!

First we had to carve our own fire-making tools.  A sharp knife in one hand, wood in the other... I carved a spindle (pointier on the top than the bottom), tied power-cord to a slightly curved stick for the bow, and gouged divots and notches into wood.  Now that I have my set of fire-starting tools... I'm ready to start!  My left foot steps on the rectangular piece of wood with a leaf under to catch the "coal."  This coal is what's supposed to start the fire in a nest of loose string fibers.  I loop the spindle into my bow, pinning the spindle between the rectangular piece of wood and another wooden handle, left arm wrapped around my left leg, attempting to pin my wrist to my shin.  Slowly, my right hand pulls and pushes on the bow causing my spindle to spin... faster and faster and FASTER!  Look!  A little smoke... okay, even faster now... Oops... I lost my tension on my handle and my spindle goes flying.  The little bit of blackened wood dust heated by friction slowly smokes... next thing I know, any sign of smoke or heat is gone!  *sniffle*  I can't seem to get that last step to create a proper coal that will ignite the fluffy fiber nest.  *sigh*

After the class, at home, my brother, Winston, my husband, Noel, and I attempted to create fire with no success.  *deep sigh*  At least we got the wood smoking!  =D

Me learning to create the tools to make a fire!
Noel stringing his bow... gotta get just the right tension!
Winston working hard at creating friction... will it succeed?  
Noel and I trying to create enough friction to produce a "coal."  My arm's sooooo tired!
Winston and Noel still trying to start that fire!  =P

Lord Father in Heaven, thank you for a wonderful time with my brother and my husband!  Even though I was super excited to create fire... it didn't happen.  Thank you, Father God, that I was able to experience this past day of fun!  The chance to learn how to create a proper shelter... I've always tried building shelters as a kid, now I have the knowledge in how to build one to survive in!  YAY!

And God... fire is just awesome!  Thank you for the opportunity to make tools that can start a fire!  This just gives me incentive to practice!  Someday, I want to start my own fires by not using any matches.  *wide grin*

Above all, Lord, thank you that I had enough strength to enjoy this survival course.  I got worried when I had to take a rest-break in order to climb to the meeting area... but Lord, you provided that I didn't have to carry anything heavy or attempt to go beyond my endurance threshold.  *wide smile*  Thank you, Father, for teaching me how to boil water with rocks, how to create my own wooden container, and the chance to enjoy the experience this day without getting too cold or fatigued.

Lord, I praise your name as my heart sings for joy.  I thank you for the blessings of this life and these experiences!  Father God, thank you that you open my eyes to see the provisions your set for me so that I can enjoy life even more.  Thank you, God, for the knowledge that you are my strength... even as I grumble when my body fails me, Father, the fact that I can still participate in this basic survival course is a miracle.

Thank you for blessings on blessings layered on blessings!  In Jesus' name I praise my Father in Heaven, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy