Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Why so happy?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Leaving work today, a guy walking in the opposite direction asks: "Why are you so happy?"

Automatically, I answer saying "it's because I'm getting off work."

However... that's not quite true.  Walking away, I think over my answer... leaving work isn't really the reason is it?  I had a lot of fun at work... super busy, non-stop catering to patients... but I had some great conversations, unique challenges with wound dressing combiations, a fun time picking at scabs and calluses with a knife... Hmmmmm... so it's not really leaving work that causes me to smile.  I've been told by people that they like my smile as I enter work too.  *wide grin*

So why do I smile?  Why am I happy?

When I say "work" the first things that come to mind are difficult times, stress, things I have to do and mental grumblings... but in all honestly, I love my work!  Work is something I look forward to.  I do enjoy the occasional breaks and yes, there are times when things at my job are out of control and stressful... but all-in-all, I wouldn't exchange my job for any money in the world!  But my job as a physical therapist isn't what keeps me going.  Having great staff, clients, and a fun working environment help... however, there are times that I smile even when times are tough (or so I'd like to think).  *wink*

Why?  After digging around for the source of my joy... I realize that I'm so happy because God's blessed me so much and also given me the opportunity to bless others.  I thrive on the many blessings God's placed into my life... how can I not smile?

What about my cancer or family financial issues or my crazy unknown future?  *shrug*  Honestly, in the face of all the blessings I've experienced.... troubles and hardships don't leave the fear or scars in my heart that they used to.  Instead... I'm learning to count my blessings: in my life, at work, home, whereever I am... God is good.

Lord Father... thanks for such a fun life!  Yesterday and today, I received the opportunity to rest in the sun... cool breeze, lapping pool water, drifting flower petals... peace I haven't enjoyed in a long long time... rest.  Lord, I haven't felt this physically well in a long time.  Thank you for the opportunity to learn that my body no longer absorbs iron well through food or pills, but thank you for the chance to get iron injected into my bloodstream (looks like I'm being injected with rootbeer!).

Father God, in you I place my everything... my dreams, my wants, my heart.  In you, Lord, I know that I find my peace and my rest.  Father in heaven... thank you for the joy in my heart and the smile on my face so that I can serve others out of the excess of your blessings and not in my own limited strength.  God, let me continue to experience this life with new eyes and a heart that seeks after you first.  Help me to know you more... to love you more... to show others how awesome my Lord God really is... that you truly are King of kings and Lord of lords.  =D

In Jesus' holy name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy