Monday, August 13, 2012

Leadership, changing lives

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012

This past Thursday and Friday, I participated in a Christian leadership conference call "The Global Leadership Summit."  This is a leadership conference I've now attended for maybe the 5th time, each time just as awesome a learning experience as the times before.  At this conference, world-renown political, Christian, and business speakers present leadership techniques, their personal stories of growth and failure, and key leadership characteristics/concepts.

My brain's still overloaded with information!  Here's a quick overview of some speakers (I cut out over half of what I originally typed!)  =O

Bill Hybels:
*Leader's job is to get the organization from "here" to "there," meaning make people realize how unproductive/unpopular/unacceptable reality "here" is and give them a vision of "there" to go to.  Hardest part is during the transition... everyone's loosing momentum, the goal isn't in sight... it's the leader's responsibility to re-energize his staff and keep them moving... gotta make it "there!"
*Work above and beyond my stated job description.
*Leadership is a privileged position... purpose to MOVE the organization, not just to respond to emergencies.  The power to build teams and to make dreams reality, to make changes.

Condoleezz Rice:
*Leaders don't accept the world as it is, but see the world as it should be.
*Rejoice in suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, endurance produces character, leading to hope through God's love.  (Romans 5:3-5)
*Leadership requires humility, put aside my own ego/pride.

Craig Groeschel:
*Bridge generational gap.  Older generation: be authentic, delegate authority, invest in younger generation... not done until your dead.  Younger generation: give honor, be humble, serve faithfully.  Both generations need to work together... intentionally create opportunities to learn together.

Patrick Lencioni:
*Core values in an organization must be unbreakable, even in hard times.... improved efficiency, improved profit, improved processes and customer satisfaction.

William Ury:
*Single largest obstacle in negotiations is myself.
*Focus on the interests of both parties, not the position... conflict can be constructive.

Pranitha Timothy:
*We are called to serve where God is ALREADY at work.
*God restores people.

Geoffrey Canada:
*Need to contaminate positive values into a negative community (past tipping point).
*Watered down vision by people offering money/support can destroy the business.
*Leader's moral compass must not waver.

Bill Hybels:
*Death rate = 100%, what legacy do I leave behind when I die?
*Only God can radically change people.

Lord Father God, out of this super information-packed conference... what do I take away?  What legacy do I leave behind when I die? 

Father, I believe that you've called me to lead where I am.  This doesn't mean to take over a situation or that I have the power or place to make decisions... instead, I ask that you help me lead by serving in areas that have need... to actively look for situations around me that can be improved in order to facilitate processes... and to encourage friends in order to build a stronger community/team.  Lord, I desire to lead with humility and clarity consistent with your values.  I know that there are many areas in which I lack... however, Lord God, I put myself in your care, knowing that anything is possible!  I want to, without stepping on toes, be of service to those around me.

In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy