Monday, November 7, 2011

Driving

I started driving just a little bit last Thursday... But still, that's FOUR solid weeks of no driving! *sad face* For these last couple of weeks, I've held back from driving because of the core muscles involved in using both hands and feet to drive my manual car. Not anymore... Hurray! I'm so excited!

Have I mentioned yet that I love my car? The outside doesn't look too bad, the inside is a little too roomy for my smaller frame... But the car's driving and handling capabilities... Yeah, that's what I love most and miss most about my car.

Recently, having Noel drive my car... *shudder* My poor car! Thanks Hubby for driving my Speed3, but I believe it responds better to my commands. Yup yup! *grin*

I hop into my car and snuggle myself into the driver's seat. Yeah, in this car, this is totally _my_ seat. With a deft twist of my wrist, my not-so-little car rumbles to life, then settles for a soft purr. Ahhhhhh, this is exactly as I remember. Without much thought, my left foot works the clutch as my right foot lightens up on the brake pedal, ready to step on the gas after my right hand shifts into reverse and my left hand cranks on the steering wheel. Wow, so many words to describe a time of transition that takes less than a second to perform!

Taking off, I leave my housing complex to roam the streets. I dart right, left... Only slowed down by other cars or traffic lights. But even these obstructions don't bother me. At each light, I sit to enjoy the sun and breeze wafting through open windows, smirk at a nearby car that rattles like a bucket of loose bolts, listen to dry leaves rustling along the ground... All the while, I keep my eyes focused on the nearby traffic lights. As soon as the lights turn green, I give my car a little gas... And I'm flying! Cars in adjacent lanes appear to glide backwards; other times, a car may struggle to pass my car only to give up and fall back. *gleeful look*

While entering the freeway, I floor my gas pedal and shift smoothly from second to third gear... I'm flying, fighting my car as the turbo kicks in, and thoroughly enjoying the acceleration! Around another nice curve, all four tires squeal as I pin my left leg and side against the car for stability... Sweet! My car feels so good... So alive! Smoothly transitioning into a straight, I feel each bump, each dip, in the road through my feet, the seat of my pants, my hands, my eyes, my ears. When I'm at my best, the car becomes an extension of my senses... This is what driving is to me, an integral part of my life.

Father in heaven, thank you for the gift of my body...that I am able to enjoy driving with the full use of my hands, my eyes, my body, my feet, my ears... and sometimes even my nose when I burn the clutch (oops)! Thank you for giving me the ability to appreciate this car I've prayed for to get for over 5 years. Thank you for the joy I continue to receive in driving a well set-up car. Thank you for my dad teaching me stick-shift and the training you've provided so that I can safely handle my current car. Lord, thank you for also providing the wisdom to appreciate that I control a car weighing over 3200 pounds, a fancy piece of machinery not to be treated lightly like a toy. Thank you for protecting me from potential accidents and mistakes by me or by others. *wide grin*

In Jesus' name, I thank my Father in heaven for everything that you've created me to be, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy