Sunday, October 9, 2011

The little things that aren't so little

Hello everyone!!!

I finally feel focused enough to write. *grin*

On Oct 5th, surgery finally started about 2:30pm (instead of the planned 9am)... I was starving and my mom sits next to me with this huge bag of food and drinks. *drool*. Anyways, when I finally start getting ready for surgery, i get this purple gown that hooks up to a heated air blower called Bair Paw... Technology is awesome!!! I hate being cold and this device kept me so warm that when anesthesiology came to place IVs in me... My blood vessels nicely popped out!*smile*. Little things like that for comfort have really made the difference in helping keep my positive attitude.

After surgery, I remember my sister handing me this HUGE stuffed dog (yes...another super large toy!!!) and it's been a super large blessing because this hospital is always out of pillows...so this large dog named Sammy has kept me both warm, it's legs are great to cuddle me front and back, and the large ears flop perfectly over my eyes to block out the constant light each hospital room has (either from staff leaving the light on when they say "good night" to you, from the hallway light when the door's always left open, or even the constant light from my IV pump).

I still remember my last surgery, not enough blankets, cold air, always shivering... Misery! This time, my mom made my bed with so many blankets and topped it off with another wool blanket my sister gave me from my last surgery... Who knew that a well made bed could be so comfortable, the sheets smooth, and no cold air leaks in! I've not let any of the staff remake my bed... My mom definitely made it the best! *grin*.

Another tidbit for anyone staying overnight at the hospital... The bed's always feel uneven with weird dips, especially under your butt! Playing with my bed, I found the most perfect position... Head of bed up a couple inches and the bed bent up at the knees... Makes the bed fit my body, allows me to rest comfy with no strech in my abdomen to cause discomfort at the incision site, and I can use the bed to help me get up when things are aching a lot. Yay!

Little things really do make a difference! As my gaze roams around a bleak room with pratical tans and green curtains, I see the beautiful flowers given to me by my co-workers and Noel's best friend. It's fun to stare at the different flower shapes, subtle and bold color changes, and varied textures of the flower petals and leaves. God really creates beautiful things... And having that little bit of nature in my room reminds me of God's glory and that Jesus has a plan for me... Exactly where I am, the staff I meet and talk to, the patients I smile at in the hallway, and that I am here to be blessed by others as well as to bless those around me.

Thank you Father in heaven for your favor upon me. I am blessed with a room to myself in a quiet location, staff to talk and laugh with, family and friends to support me, and quick healing. Thank you for helping me deal with discomfort and pain with hope, peace in the knowledge that I will heal, and the strength to keep moving in the face of fear and pain.

Lord God in heaven, I ask that you continue to use my time here on earth to serve you. In both the good times and bad, may I never stray from your side and your protection. In this uncertain world, may I always have the peace and strength to forge ahead, not for my own wants, but for the greater purpose of serving a loving Lord who is greater than anything or any other purpose or comfort I can think of.

Thank you Lord for blessing the doctors to find the multiple tumors and help them remove it (cauterizing the smaller walnut-sized growths and removing the one the size of a small cantaloupe from my intestines). Thank you Lord that I only lost 2-liters of blood and the doctors were able to give me a transfusion of red blood cells and albumin. Thank you Lord for a quick 3.5 hour surgery in which the doctors put me neatly back together. Thank you Jesus that for now, the doctors can't find anymore growths, but also have the wisdom to expect more growths in the future. Thank you Lord that I know you personally in my life o that I don't have to worry if I only have a day or many years to live. My life is yours, Lord, use it as you see fit... So long as I can honor you in how I live and act, my life is already complete... Everything else is just more blessing you shower me with from your mercy and your grace. May this body continue to be the Lord's temple and tool, to use as you see fit... In Jesus' name I thank my Lord in heaven for my given purpose in this life, to be one of meaning and not self-serving emptiness. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy