Wednesday, October 26, 2011

When someone dies

Today, my great aunt died.

I'm not sure how to feel...she raised me. She gave up her job as a pharmacist and came to the States to raise me and my siblings while my parents worked.

When my family owned a little grocery store, we played there after school... free ice cream and Vienna sausages! On weekends, while we watched morning (and afternoon) cartoons, she would skin and cut fruit for us... even the grape skins and seeds would she carefully remove so that we would eat. Spoiled right? *smile*

Back then, she was a super clean freak... Everything had to be washed just right! She would fold our laundry, cook meals, and even play Chinese checkers with us... She was smart, and gentle, and loved us with all her heart. This is the person I miss... This is the woman I loved and respected!

These last few years, my great aunt struggled with CHF (congestive heart failure), multiple heart attacks, chest pain... diminishing health. For a while, when she stayed at a nursing home, her mind started to slip. She didn't always know who people were or what was going on so my family took her back home.

My grandma, my mom, my sister, and even my dad had to take care of her... Daily dealing with her constipation, diarrhea, increasing physical weakness, discomfort and pain. Her sharp mind never came back.

In these last few days, my dad had to physically carry her. My family changed her diapers, turned her in bed, fed her when she couldn't feed herself.

Today she went to the hospital. Today she died.

I grieve for the woman I knew growing up. I cry for the woman who raised me and struggled so hard to live.

Lord Father in heaven, I thank you that my great aunt is finally at rest and out of pain. I thank you for the opportunity of loving and being loved by her. If she had Jesus in her heart, as a Child of God, I thank you that I'll see her again.

For now, Lord, I ask that you bring my family close together. Give us hope that we'll someday meet again in your presence. Give us peace as we learn to live without her. Give us strength as we lean on each other. Give us a heart to rejoice now that my great aunt is no longer suffering.

In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! *big hugs* --Kristy